Monday, January 13, 2014

2014 and beyond (Posted by Lorri)

I'm not sure there is really going to be a theme for this post, I think that I'm just going to post things I like.   So, brace yourself for some pretty quilty things.

This is a close up photo of a pattern that our Grandma Von Soosten used.  I have seen it called several different names, one of which is "Spring Wheels".  A good use of scraps. Hand pieced and hand quilted, of course.  Made in the 1960s. 

 Caedmon loves his cow quilt that his great Aunt Kay made for him.  It has been one of his favorites for a long time. 


 The back is fun, too.

I took this picture on an early morning walk in Crawford County.  Because you can't quilt 24/7.  The railroad track runs through the farm.

A wildflower in the ditch along the gravel road.

I'm pretty sure this is a noxious weed, but I thought it was pretty.  A thistle, I think.
It was a particularly peaceful morning. 

Just pretty.

What everybody needs, a box full of grandkids.


I think that the pattern is called the Tree of Life, or something like that.  We made this wall hanging for our parents' 50th wedding anniversary.  Guests were encouraged to sign the leaves.  It was pretty fun to make.  My friend Marilyn did some fabulous custom quilting on it.  Notice the initials "carved" on the tree trunk.

A nifty close up of the quilting. 


We have been experimenting with taking photos of our quilts.  Here I am up in the hayloft. 

This is our triumphant look after we conquered making the arch at the Children's Science Museum in Des Moines.  I'm not going to lie, we had help. 

And, last photo for this post.  We painted this barn quilt for our Aunt Kay.  I really liked how she has it displayed.  She has a good eye for knowing what works.  Maybe she wants to learn to quilt. 

.

No comments:

Post a Comment