Saturday, September 10, 2011

Kansas State Fair 2011 (by Sherry)

Selvedge apron and oven mitt
My snowman quilt

Spencer, Caroline and Kendall
Don't they look like they're having fun? 
Phil and I just got home from a fun filled couple of days with the grandkids and our son and his wife at the Kansas State Fair in Hutchinson , Kansas.  It was a perfect day for the fair, not too hot, not too cold, just right.  The kids are just old enough to really appreciate all the fun there is at the State Fair.  They climbed in tractors, big and small, trying them all out.  They watched a cow milking demonstration, saw native Kansas fish,  petted a few goats and a zebra, rode on the skyline, the ferris wheel and  an elephant ride.  We saw the pig races and went to Llama Land. Spencer was very impressed with the biggest pumpkin and Caroline loved the big slide.  Kendall, not so much.
I had entered 5 items in the clothing and textile department so we did manage to get a peek at them. I would have liked to spend more time in that building, but I was out voted.  Caroline said it was the least favorite part of the fair, looking at the quilts.  But it was my favorite part of the Fair, because i won some more ribbons. NOt just ribbons, blue ribbons! I made an apron and oven mitt out of the selvedges from fabric for the Creative selvedge contest and won 1st place! My snowman quilt that took third at the Little Balkans Quilt Guild won first place in the holiday quilt class and my wool purse and wool pillow also took first.  I was so excited!!! I have entered things off and on for several years, but have never done this well.  But my very favorite part of the State Fair was sharing the whole experience with the grandkids.  It was so much fun seeing them having fun.  Hopefully we can make it an annual affair.  There is so much to do and see there, we didn't get it all done before they wore out, but there's always next year. 

1 comment:

  1. Maybe Gavin can join in the fun next year! We all had a great time and enjoyed seeing you!

    ReplyDelete