Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Kay's We LOVE Joplin Quilt

I was inspired to make this quilt for the city of Joplin.  Even though we do not live in Joplin, we love going there to do our shopping and eating out at their restaurants.  There are a lot of things that we can not get in our small town that we get in Joplin.  We miss JoAnn's fabric store and my husband really misses going to Academy for fishing supplies.  Also St. John's hospital has been missed as that is where they usually send you if you need specialized medical care. I wanted to make this quilt so that I could donate it to someone who might need it and do my small part.


I recently bought the quilt book, Word Play Quilts by Tonya Ricucci, and have had great fun making different letters in this book.  The heart block came from an internet blog and the houses I made free form.  I made it using my Singer featherweight sewing machine my husband bought me at a swap meet.  It sews like a dream!


I used some of the reject house blocks along with some leftover scraps from other projects (I make a lot of red, white and blue quilts) on the back.  The quilt didn't take long to piece and Joan Westhoff of Walnut, Kansas quilted it for me.  She did a wonderful job!  It really made the quilt look awesome!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment