Sunday, August 28, 2011

Roman shades and more roman shades

Ok, I like roman shades.  I have big windows that face the east and west and the sun is brutal.  I've never really cared for fussy window treatments.  I like to be able to see out of the window, or block the hot sun.  What can I say, it's been a long summer. Anyway, in true 4-H fashion, I purchased a pattern several years ago.  Don't waste your money on a pattern.  Here are some helpful hints:
Google the directions.  I used fiberglass rods (available online) in the pleats.  These help it fold up nicely and add enough weight to make them hang better.  I used black out lining (which is actually white) from Hancocks on the back.  Works great.  I also ordered ring tape, which has all of the plastic rings already sewn on the twill tape.  Makes it much easier.  Can also be used to bustle a wedding dress, but more about that later.
By the way, you can cut the fiberglass rods to the correct length with a hacksaw.  Don't do this inside on your carpet, don't ask me how I know this.  I used to buy drapery cord for the roman shade, now I just go to the camping section and buy some kind of packaged cord that people must use when they go camping. It's cheaper and just as strong.  Plus, it takes an hour to get to the closest Hancock or JoAnns.
Happy sewing!

1 comment:

  1. wow, those look really nice. I'm into valances, short, quick and easy. but then i don't have any privacy issues out here.

    ReplyDelete