Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Kay's Doll Quilts

I have been having fun making doll quilts for the Little Balkans Quilt Guild's project to make doll quilts for the Salvation Army .  The doll quilts we  be given to a child along with a doll for Christmas.  I managed to get a dozen quilts done.  I made two of the blue and pink ones at the last minute because I was determined to get all 12 quilts done.  I started on the last two the day before we were to turn them in.   I was sewing the binding on my lunch hour and then I worked on them after work so I could finish them.  I stayed up late to finish them getting hardly any sleep that day ( who needs sleep when there is quilting to be done!).  I got to the meting at 7:00 just in time as they were giving them away when I got there. 

The Love block for the love quilt was by Tonya Rucci and was found in an issue of The Quilt Life magazine.  The rest of the quilt I made up as I went along from scraps I had lying around.  Sometimes I really love the Love quilt and sometimes I don't.  Next time I might try the love block in a different setting.  The star quilt was made with left over blocks from another quilt project.  The pinwheel quilt  is made out of the triangle leftovers from some farmer's daughter blocks I was making.  It has a mistake in it.  Can you see it?  I was going to rip it out and fix it but decided I was too lazy. 






I call that my Prairie Pinwheels quilt because it reminds me the old fashioned quilts that they made back in the late 1800's.  Now I am working on some more dolls quilts to give for Christmas gifts.  I already made another Prairie Pinwheels quilt for a friend that quilts.  I  am also trying to made doll quilts for my nieces.  So far everything I have tried to make I have not been happy with.  So back to the drawing board to try to think of some other patterns to try!   Next week maybe some more doll quilts, maybe not.  We'll see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment