Sunday, December 23, 2012

Merry Christmas from Captain Vomitar! (posted by Lorri)

I added a new word to my vocabulary at work last week.  The word is "vomitar", which means "to vomit" in Spanish.  Thank you Google translator.
I learned this new word in preparation for a home visit. You can just fill in the rest of the details on your own.

Anyway, back to the new addition to my vocabulary.  Did you ever hear a new word, and for some unknown reason, it strikes you as funny?

Well, apparently the word "vomitar"was one of those words for me.  I thought it sounded like a super hero.  Consequently, Captain Vomitar was created.

Of course, things deteriorated from there.  It's been a bad year for the stomach flu.  Kids throw up; sometimes they don't make to the desired destination.  It's okay - no one WANTS to have the stomach flu.  Fortunately, I can handle vomit. 

I've noticed over the years of being a nurse, that people seem to have some type of body fluid "line in sand", so to speak.  Some people are squeamish about the sight of blood or needles.  Doesn't faze me, although I'll admit I prefer that the blood or needles don't involve me as a participant.  I prefer the old adage, It's better to give than receive - especially when it comes to needles. I have found one common body fluid that most nurses (including myself) prefer to leave to other professionals. 

Any guesses?  Find a nurse and ask.  It's loogies.  Or hawkers.  But, I digress.

I was explaining to my husband about the new word I learned.  He knew I'd been seeing lots of vomit at work for awhile.  He actually though the Vominator might be a better term.  Perhaps. 
Then, we stopped at a local convenience store in our small town one evening.  As he got ready to get out of his side of the car, guess what was on the pavement right outside his car door?    At this point, I think he started to think IT was following me around.

Oh, if he only knew. 

A few days later, I actually became Captain Vomitar.  At home.  I don't know why I get surprised when I get sick - I see so much of it at times.  The big surprise is that we (school nurses) don't get sick more often.   I'm feeling much better now.

My Christmas wish is for someone to develop a vaccine for the stomach flu.  I'll be first in line.

I had really been planning on this blog entry being about fabric, but I'll save it for next week. 

So, I wish you all a vomit-free Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment