Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Kay's Prairie Pinwheels

These quilts remind me of the old fashioned fabrics from the pioneer days.  The small quilt was made recently and is made with fabrics I purchased recently.  The larger quilt is made from fabrics that I probably bought in the 80's .  Back then all you could find in cottons was old fashioned calicos.  I used tea dyed muslin and these calicos.  I made it several years ago and gave it to my sister to machine quilt for me.  After several years of it sitting at her house she gave it back to me.  She just didn't have time to quilt it.  After it sat around my house for a while, I finally decided to go ahead and try to quilt myself.  I quilted it on my sewing machine using a walking foot and I quilted it diagonally through the corners.  It isn't perfect,  some of my stitching isn't that straight.  I reminds of the prairie every time I look at it.  I love everything about the prairie especially the  wildflowers that bloom there in the spring and summer.  I think everything about the prairie is fascinating and enjoy reading books about the prairie that are set in pioneer times.   I think I will be making more quilts in this prairie style because as usual I cut out way too many pieces for these blocks.  At work I usually work on my sewing on my lunch hour and my co-workers usually make remarks about what I'm working on.  When I was working on some redwork one co-worker told me that was not  right, I should use several colors instead of just one.  Another co-worker told me that one of my doll quilt was ugly.  This quilt everyone stopped and remarked that they really liked it.  They liked the colors especially.  I was surprised, I thought that I was the only one who would like this old fashioned quilt especially since I used those different colored blocks in the outside blocks.  I think I will keep this one for myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment