Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Kay's Quilts

A few years ago I made some art quilts for the Pittsburg Art Walk.  I mean I attempted to make art quilts.  I was encouraged to make these by my daughter because she wants me to make art quilts.  I'm not much of a artist but I gave it a try. I made the flowers and leaves by quilting  them on my machine and then I applied them to to the background.  It  made them have an 3-D effect.  The larger yellow and blue one I appliqued blue pieces of material and then quilted leaves and vines,  I made little squares of embroidered flowers and animals and appliqued them on the bottom.. 
This one I made out of scraps from leftover quilts projects.  I quilted it on my sewing machine with navy thread.  I sewed different things on the bottom to finish it out.  I bought beads and put things I found around the house - Candy wrappers, things I got in the mail, parts of old earrings,  I also crocheted itsy bitsy little doilies and threaded them on crochet thread and sewed them to the bottom. 
I took these pictures out to the farm and had Dad help me with these pictures.  We were going to photgraph them on the old chicken house but it was too windy, so Dad suggested that we go over to the barn out of the wind and take pictures.  I think they look pretty good on the old barn.  The red, black and white quilt is some embroidered blocks that I made of wildflowers in baskets.  I don't think these quilts are really art quilts but I tried!



No comments:

Post a Comment